Welcome to American Politics

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

female assistant

the runup to the 2018 elections

4,853 posts in this topic

Why the GOP should be very worried about what’s happening in Kansas and Georgia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/04/11/why-the-gop-should-be-very-worried-about-whats-happening-in-kansas-and-georgia/?utm_term=.8fae29a813f3

To wit, in Georgia:

• Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Prices's old 6th District went for Mitt Romney by 23 points in 2012, giving him 61 percent of the vote, according to numbers compiled by Daily Kos Elections. (Caveat: It was much closer in 2016, with Trump winning by 1.5 points, but it has historically been a very safe seat.)
  • It was the 82nd most pro-Romney district out of 234 seats that Republicans won.
  • The most pro-Romney district Democrats currently hold — Minnesota Rep. Collin C. Peterson's — gave Romney just 54 percent of the vote, seven points less than Georgia's 6th.
  • Democrats hold only two other districts that even gave Romney a majority of the vote — let alone more than 60 percent.

And in Kansas:

• CIA Director Mike Pompeo's old district gave Romney 62 percent in 2012 and Trump 60 percent in 2016.
  • It was the 93rd most pro-Trump district in the country.
  • Only one Democratic-held district gave Trump more of its vote — again, Collin Peterson's (62 percent).
  • Democrats hold only three other districts that even gave Trump a majority.

So these are both districts that have given GOP presidential candidates 60-plus percent of the vote in recent years.

as much as the Rs are hated and unpopular in KS(see Brownback) I don't see them flipping and slowly going purple/blue

Just now, H2O said:

as much as the Rs are hated and unpopular in KS(see Brownback) I don't see them flipping and slowly going purple/blue

yes. but it's about the details, not the win.

Just now, wxtrix said:

yes. but it's about the details, not the win.

i understand that even a closer race would be a boost for morale for the Dems.  The fact that it is even being talked about as an upset opportunity means that in some states people are getting fed up with the GOP and how they want to run things.  If Nov was all about JOBS!! then every election right after should be as well.  And since KS is mostly GOP the only ones voters can blame is the party in power.

1 person likes this

Dem still lost but for rock solid red state district a 7 point win is a sign of how much Trump is dragging down the GOP 

Hills was suppose to win too in all those stories you posted  for the last year .   

1 person likes this

Democrats are so butt hurt over last November they are dumping all they have in these elections.   Trust me I've never seen as many ads for a congressional race in my life.  

1 person likes this

lol you Rs need to come up with some new talking points. We are moving forward and discussing current elections and what the results could mean for 2018. Keep up. 

Edited by no one

4 minutes ago, no one said:

lol you Rs need to come up with some new talking points. We are moving forward and discussing current elections and what the results could mean for 2018. Keep up. 

I was talking about the current ones.  

5 minutes ago, WXinCanton said:

I was talking about the current ones.  

cool

1 hour ago, no one said:

Yes I guess you guys have to do this since your present time period is miserable . You guys must feel like someone in jail whose only bright spot is some glimmer of hope of parole in the future 

Edited by Rgwp96
1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Rgwp96 said:

Yes I guess you guys have to do this since your present time period is miserable . You guys must feel like someone in jail whose only bright spot is some glimor of hope of parole in the future 

For me, it means less taxes. So, I win either way.

That was definitely a terrible result for republicans. The Georgia election will tell us more next week. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was definitely a terrible result for republicans. The Georgia election will tell us more next week. 

Yep.  Some can at least admit it was a poor showing in a R stronghold.

best thing Dem's have going for them in 2018 is pants suit won't be at the top of the ticket, not only did Clinton run a horrible campaign she was a huge draw for the Republican base

James Thompson, unlike Hillary, is a solid individual & was never going to lose by 27% in a special election

1 hour ago, WXinCanton said:

Democrats are so butt hurt over last November they are dumping all they have in these elections.   Trust me I've never seen as many ads for a congressional race in my life.  

Yeah lots of ads right now and I'm not even in the district.  Just close.

radio, tv, and billboard advertising here in GA is excessive. 

That said john Ossoff might actually win Price's seat. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not worried at all

A win is a win

30 minutes ago, Rgwp96 said:

Yes I guess you guys have to do this since your present time period is miserable . You guys must feel like someone in jail whose only bright spot is some glimor of hope of parole in the future 

That reminds me of you guys squirming over Obama winning twice. 

The difference for me is the parole will come when Trump finally does himself in with a scandal that gets him impeached. 

9 minutes ago, Lithiawx said:

Yeah lots of ads right now and I'm not even in the district.  Just close.

radio, tv, and billboard advertising here in GA is excessive. 

That said john Ossoff might actually win Price's seat. 

Yep, it will be tougher on Ossoff in a run off.  And that looks like what will happen.

Just now, WXinCanton said:

Yep, it will be tougher on Ossoff in a run off.  And that looks like what will happen.

The district in question has a lot better chances of going dem than many others surrounding it.   This may be one the dems steal.

7 minutes ago, Lithiawx said:

That reminds me of you guys squirming over Obama winning twice. 

The difference for me is the parole will come when Trump finally does himself in with a scandal that gets him impeached. 

He's not going to get impeached

This really has the makings of a "Tea Party" movement for the left. The Republicans failure to show any type of ability to govern is really going to hurt them for a long time.