Welcome to American Politics

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wannabe hippie

Russia: Radiation levels up to 16 times higher than normal after rocket test explosion

28 posts in this topic

Looks like Russia fucked up, releasing radiation into the atmosphere.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/russia/457200-russia-radiation-levels-up-to-16-times-higher-than-normal-after

Russian weather agency Rosgidromet on Tuesday reported that radiation levels in the city of Severodvinsk were 16 times higher than normal after an accident last week during a failed missile test, Reuters reported, citing the TASS state news agency. 

The Russian defense military initially said background radiation had remained normal, but Rosgidromet reported levels spiked by four to 16 times.

Environmental organization Greenpeace, citing data from the Emergency Situations Ministry, said levels had risen more than 20 times above the normal level, according to a report from Radio Free Europe (RFE). 

Pharmacies in the region have reportedly sold out of iodine drops, believed to help protect the thyroid gland from certain types of radiation, RFE noted.

The blast occurred Thursday during a test of a missile engine that used “isotope power sources” on an offshore platform in the Arkhangelsk region, Russian nuclear energy company Rosatom said over the weekend.

The Defense Ministry didn’t initially mention the nuclear element but a top official at the institute told Bloomberg News on Monday that a small nuclear reactor was involved in the explosion. 

Rosatom confirmed that five scientists had died in the accidental blast, in addition to the two military personnel previously confirmed dead.  

The New York Times reported that U.S. intelligence officials believe the blast may have involved a prototype of the SSC-X-9 Skyfall, a cruise missile powered by a small nuclear reactor that allows it to travel long distances.

Just now, Bender Rodriguez said:

16 times...not great but not terrible

Hahahahahahahahaha perfect 

Just now, Bender Rodriguez said:

16 times...not great but not terrible

Yes, and kids will be born with 3 arms and 4 balls... not great, but not terrible.

Just now, Psycopsychologist said:

Yes, and kids will be born with 3 arms and 4 balls... not great, but not terrible.

It’s a reference to the HBO show Chernobyl 

Just now, Stinkin' TrumpHole said:

Great show. Riveting and exposes the USSR as a hapless bureaucracy full of idiots.

Lol the USSR was quite formidable. 

Just now, Psycopsychologist said:

Ahh... I need to check that out.

Really good, def recommended 

Why do you need a nuke powered missile? I guess trying to be able to strike anywhere in the world very quickly? Lower heat signature? Very weird 

Just now, Captain Planet said:

Lol the USSR was quite formidable. 

Did you see the show? If not shut the fuck up. Damn you are tiresome.

Just now, Stinkin' TrumpHole said:

Did you see the show? If not shut the fuck up. Damn you are tiresome.

I don’t need a show to tell me how things were. 

Just now, Rent Free said:

Why do you need a nuke powered missile? I guess trying to be able to strike anywhere in the world very quickly? Lower heat signature? Very weird 

i believe it can fly indefinitely which essentially allows it to beat us missile defenses 

theres ways an arms race 

Just now, Banned by Fineprint Admin said:

i believe it can fly indefinitely which essentially allows it to beat us missile defenses 

theres ways an arms race 

Highly concentrated lasers. 

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Smh, Ivan.

High energy lasers. If you don’t think the us has them, I dunno what to tell you. 

LOL "space lasers"

That's a running joke we like to use in the defense contractor world to refer to some silly "next-gen" project that is years from reality.

Just now, PhineasC said:

LOL "space lasers"

That's a running joke we like to use in the defense contractor world to refer to some silly "next-gen" project that is years from reality.

Lol LaWS has been in use for years now. Shits real. 

For “space lasers” all you need is a high power source such as a nuclear powered satellite. Shits been in development for years. 

Just now, Rent Free said:

would this technology be something like say the first operational "impulse drive" engine? or something similar to the SLAMs we tried to produce in the 60s?

Just now, Captain Planet said:

Lol LaWS has been in use for years now. Shits real. 

There is a gigantic difference between point-defense lasers that can be used to stop a jet ski or small drone versus a network or space and ground-based higher energy lasers to disable hypersonic missiles traveling at 6,000 MPH.