Welcome to American Politics

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ORH_wxman

China's despotic mass surveillance

41 posts in this topic

We've been talking about this at random times in other threads, but this probably deserves its own thread. 

The human rights watch group below apparently was able to reverse engineer the app that the Chinese government uses to collect data on their population (esp the muslims) to increase their ability to oppress them.

Reading some of this stuff makes your stomach turn.

From the human rights watch site:

https://www.hrw.org/report/2019/05/01/chinas-algorithms-repression/reverse-engineering-xinjiang-police-mass-surveillance

1 person likes this

Crazy shit they are doing yet nobody cares. Damn shame if this isn’t getting more attention 

12 hours ago, Rent Free said:

Crazy shit they are doing yet nobody cares. Damn shame if this isn’t getting more attention 

It’s kind of smart. Keep suspicious behavior under control before they get out of hand. If you can prevent an attack with this technology, then so be it. 

Just now, Captain Planet said:

It’s kind of smart. Keep suspicious behavior under control before they get out of hand. If you can prevent an attack with this technology, then so be it. 

It's totalitarian is what it is. They define what "suspicious behavior" is and that includes any political dissent. It's the beginning of Orwell's 1984.

1 hour ago, Captain Planet said:

Shut up

1 person likes this

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It's totalitarian is what it is. They define what "suspicious behavior" is and that includes any political dissent. It's the beginning of Orwell's 1984.

That was about 20 years ago with the advent of the web and smartphones.  

2 people like this

Just now, Jesus is Disappointed said:

That was about 20 years ago with the advent of the web and smartphones.  

You're not totally wrong here. The other day while on the commuter rail after work, I looked around and noticed maybe 80-90% of the passengers were looking at their phones. It's amazing. Even 6-7 years ago it wasn't like that. You'd see more people talking or doing crossword puzzles, etc. 

Reminded me of a cartoon image I saw a while back:

IMG_2834.JPG

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Captain Planet said:

Cool. Go move there.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You're not totally wrong here. The other day while on the commuter rail after work, I looked around and noticed maybe 80-90% of the passengers were looking at their phones. It's amazing. Even 6-7 years ago it wasn't like that. You'd see more people talking or doing crossword puzzles, etc. 

IMG_2834.JPG

So I have this friend.  He’s a big mucky muck lawyer for a huge software company that shall remain nameless.  He said that whatever you can imagine, it’s worse than you think.  

I don’t use Siri or Alexa but stuff that I’ve never looked for online or inquired about, but that has come up in casual discussion has shown up in ads or pop ups.  That bothers me.  It bothers me a lot.  It makes me want to go off the grid.

2 people like this

11 hours ago, Captain Planet said:

Don’t ever call yourself a liberal again.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Fozz said:

Don’t ever call yourself a liberal again.

Liberalism in the classical sense has been losing ground for a while. You see illiberialism creeping in from all directions. The concept of "liberty" just isn't a mission you hear these days from policitians.

It's too bad most of the population lets it slide so easily (see Patriot Act, Civil Asset forfeiture, onerous occupational licensing, etc). But it's the divide and conquer strategy by the beneficiaries. Keep the peasants fighting over skin color, abortion, guns, money, etc while the government erodes our civil liberties. 

It's sick. Calhippie is just another fraud who disregards classical liberalism. 

On 5/4/2019 at 0:43 AM, Rent Free said:

There are articles about this all the time in The Economist.

1 person likes this

On 5/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, ORH_wxman said:

IMG_2834.JPG

That's every large city in America. I can do the same thing in my small town, without the traffic, pollution and high cost of living.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:01 AM, ORH_wxman said:

Liberalism in the classical sense has been losing ground for a while. You see illiberialism creeping in from all directions. The concept of "liberty" just isn't a mission you hear these days from policitians.

It's too bad most of the population lets it slide so easily (see Patriot Act, Civil Asset forfeiture, onerous occupational licensing, etc). But it's the divide and conquer strategy by the beneficiaries. Keep the peasants fighting over skin color, abortion, guns, money, etc while the government erodes our civil liberties. 

It's sick. Calhippie is just another fraud who disregards classical liberalism. 

I’m not a fraud, I just accept that liberalism has limitations. With more and more people losing their moral compass, a virtual god is necessary to provide the omnipresent conditions to keep unwanted behaviors in check. Nobody deserves to have the civil liberties when a lot of people can’t be trusted with the great responsibilities that come with it. The average citizen just liters everywhere, they get what they deserve. 

I’m not a fraud, I just accept that liberalism has limitations. With more and more people losing their moral compass, a virtual god is necessary to provide the omnipresent conditions to keep unwanted behaviors in check. Nobody deserves to have the civil liberties when a lot of people can’t be trusted with the great responsibilities that come with it. The average citizen just liters everywhere, they get what they deserve. 

A "virtual god". LOL you are a totalitarian.

Just now, Fozz said:

A "virtual god". LOL you are a totalitarian.

People behave like animals, maybe if they wanted to grow up and behave like evolved people, I wouldn’t be for it. Anybody who carves their graffiti into a bathroom stall gets what they deserve. 

Of course you are. You repeatedly claim you are liberal.

You aren't liberal in any classical sense of the word. You support a despotic central government telling people how they can think or peacefully behave in the "interest of safety". You are against a lot of constitutional values outlined in the 1st, 4th, and 5th amendments.

2 people like this

People behave like animals, maybe if they wanted to grow up and behave like evolved people, I wouldn’t be for it. Anybody who carves their graffiti into a bathroom stall gets what they deserve. 

You've revealed your true colors ITT. You want an all-powerful totalitarian state to track everything that people do in the name of "safety".

China is still a really shitty place and they haven't gotten much better. The Chinese government has convinced Western media that they are basically democratic at this point.

Just now, PhineasC said:

China is still a really shitty place and they haven't gotten much better. The Chinese government has convinced Western media that they are basically democratic at this point.

This is one of the few aspects of Trump I've been pretty happy with....we've been coddling them for way too long. It was a huge mistake for Clinton (and then GWB late in the game) to hold their hand into the WTO back in 2000-2001.

Trump has been a bit reckless in implementing the tariffs, but the overall idea and attitude is correct. China is one of the top enemies of the U.S. and are a far bigger threat to us than a decaying country like Russia.

Just now, Fozz said:

You've revealed your true colors ITT. You want an all-powerful totalitarian state to track everything that people do in the name of "safety".

People suck. They need an all seeing sky daddy to keep them in line. I can’t walk anywhere without seeing something as simple as picking up after yourself. Let alone choosing to purchase sustainable products. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

This is one of the few aspects of Trump I've been pretty happy with....we've been coddling them for way too long. It was a huge mistake for Clinton (and then GWB late in the game) to hold their hand into the WTO back in 2000-2001.

Trump has been a bit reckless in implementing the tariffs, but the overall idea and attitude is correct. China is one of the top enemies of the U.S. and are a far bigger threat to us than a decaying country like Russia.

I'd call them more of a rival than an enemy at this point, but I agree that they are the biggest threat in the long term.

People suck. They need an all seeing sky daddy to keep them in line. I can’t walk anywhere without seeing something as simple as picking up after yourself. Let alone choosing to purchase sustainable products. 

I think religion is an important human need. But government is absolutely not a substitute for it.

Just now, Fozz said:

I'd call them more of a rival than an enemy at this point, but I agree that they are the biggest threat in the long term.

It's a pretty gray area at this point...their intellectual theft on U.S. tech is breathtaking. Unfortunately many CEOs and higher level investors (who donate to politicians) were complicit in it since they made a lot of money...it was the price of doing lucrative business even if they knew they were getting screwed. China has also ramped of their hacking schemes and have become more militarily aggressive in recent years with their island-building in international waters and "exercises" int he north Pacific close to Alaska. This says nothing of their blatant human rights violations that they completely denied existed until recently when they were exposed to the point that denial was no longer credible even for them.

Their demographics are a disaster for economic growth in the future...so in order to compete with the U.S. from an innovation and technology standpoint in the coming decades, they need to steal and exploit our market while keeping theirs mostly closed to U.S. interests. But it is hard to overcome the narrative of a friendly China that developed in the pre-Xi years in the 1990s and 2000s...and the "everything Trump does equals bad" narrative doesn't help either when Trump is the first President in decades to take a more cynical approach to China.

My guess is nobody loves the US media's obsession with the Russians more than Xi does.

Just now, Fozz said:

I think religion is an important human need. But government is absolutely not a substitute for it.

Well get ready for it. As religion slowly erodes due to loss of faith, look for government to step in as the ultimate authority figure. When people no longer fear God, their behaviors will change. The government will step in to provide order and behavioral corrections.