SuperTrump

The 2020 Presidential Election

Recommended Posts

Just now, Infested said:

I don't think that's a marker for success either way (working in HS).  I did and it was common for all of us to rush to get that work permit at 15 and work to make the money we wanted to blow on useless shit.  But it was my damn money at least.    Fucking KFC as a cashier for like 3 years.  My mom loved it though, free Original Recipe leftovers almost every night.  

Yummmmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Infested said:

I don't think that's a marker for success either way (working in HS).  I did and it was common for all of us to rush to get that work permit at 15 and work to make the money we wanted to blow on useless shit.  But it was my damn money at least.    Fucking KFC as a cashier for like 3 years.  My mom loved it though, free Original Recipe leftovers almost every night.  

i was too heavily involved in sports in HS to be able to juggle a part time job too. But picked up whatever I could during college that was walking distance from campus, or on campus, as i did not have a car until i graduated. was a pain, but you're right that money was mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maphead said:

i was too heavily involved in sports in HS to be able to juggle a part time job too. But picked up whatever I could during college that was walking distance from campus, or on campus, as i did not have a car until i graduated. was a pain, but you're right that money was mine. 

I saved up $500 so I can buy a stereo with two big ass speakers from fucking Radio Shack.   Teenage Randy was stupid.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Infested said:

I saved up $500 so I can buy a stereo with two big ass speakers from fucking Radio Shack.   Teenage Randy was stupid.  

do you know how excited i was when i saved up money to put down for a 10K used car. was so wonderful just to say it was mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maphead said:

i was too heavily involved in sports in HS to be able to juggle a part time job too. But picked up whatever I could during college that was walking distance from campus, or on campus, as i did not have a car until i graduated. was a pain, but you're right that money was mine. 

I worked summers at GM. Union wages ftw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maphead said:

do you know how excited i was when i saved up money to put down for a 10K used car. was so wonderful just to say it was mine. 

That desire and sense of achievement pretty much didn't exist for people aged 20-30 now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maphead said:

do you know how excited i was when i saved up money to put down for a 10K used car. was so wonderful just to say it was mine. 

I saved $1,500 and spent it on a used taxi...with the taxi color and striping still on it.   I was embarrassed, but I had a motherfucking car!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fbomb said:

I worked summers at GM. Union wages ftw!

i was a summer camp counselor during the summers when home from college. otherwise i was a lab assistant, tutor and worked retail at the mall and slung pizza at pizza shop. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

That desire and sense of achievement pretty much didn't exist for people aged 20-30 now.

it was a pretty sweet feeling. my parents bought me at $1300 Buick LaSabre as a congrats on graduation college. Drove that boat into the ground before affording a cheap ass Kia lol 

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Infested said:

I saved $1,500 and spent it on a used taxi...with the taxi color and striping still on it.   I was embarrassed, but I had a motherfucking car!!

yassss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 years old... if you don't feel a really strong desire to get away from your old man/mommy, get a job, make your own money, and get life started... there is something wrong with you.

Doesn't mean you cut off your parents and do something stupid. But the desire should be there to motivate you to wrap up school or learn a trade.

I have no idea how this urge doesn't exist for Millennials. They can be living at home at 28 with no degree and no job and be OK with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maphead said:

i was a summer camp counselor during the summers when home from college. otherwise i was a lab assistant, tutor and worked retail at the mall and slung pizza at pizza shop. 

it was a pretty sweet feeling. my parents bought me at $1300 Buick LaSabre as a congrats on graduation college. Drove that boat into the ground before affording a cheap ass Kia lol 

I drove my moms 84 le sabre for a time. I had to parallel park that thing for my drivers test. I loved the velvet seats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

Yeah so many Millennials with school debt and no degree. What a waste. These kids were lied to by parents and teachers who said getting a degree is the best choice for everyone.

The lack of financial education has really reared its ugly head on the millennial generation. Generations just before them kind of got away with it because college wasn't as expensive. My Cornell excursion from 1999-2003 (I left there with a touch under 70k in loan debt) would have cost almost double ten years later...sickening.

And I probably would have done it too because how could you not as an 18 year old? You get into your top school choice and you have no comprehension of how much money you will owe. In your head, you figure it will be paid off pretty quick because you'll be earning huge money right out of an elite college...but reality is far different. 

I was also fortunate that I chose a field heavy in math and science. I can't imagine if it were some arts degree...I'd still be paying off my loan debt if it were. Now imagine some millennial who spent twice that...around 150k....and got a degree in fashion design or art history. 

The kids now coming out of high school can't "get away" with making a financial mistake in college like earlier generations were able to get away with it. The obscenely bloated price of a degree now attaches to their ass like an anchor once they are out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

One of the biggest markers out there: employment during your HS years.

Something changed for kids born in the late 1980s into the 1990s where working from the age of 14/15 onwards became weird and avoided.

I can see a very clear link between those whose parents told them to get a job in HS and signed the work permit versus those parents who said "focus on getting into a good college and having fun."

The former has a much better work ethic, realized early on the real world isn't fair and they aren't special, and decided to get their shit together as quickly as possible.

That was during the time period where focus went toward going to college, that everyone needed a degree to get by. People didn't work part time jobs, they would instead focus on better grades to get into college. Also combine that with a period where a lot more seniors would take on part time jobs to get out of the house after retiring, most people in 1980 if they retired that was it. Now not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fbomb said:

I drove my moms 84 le sabre for a time. I had to parallel park that thing for my drivers test. I loved the velvet seats

haha no velvet for me, but the big bench seat. i think i had the first model that was power everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The lack of financial education has really reared its ugly head on the millennial generation. Generations just before them kind of got away with it because college wasn't as expensive. My Cornell excursion from 1999-2003 (I left there with a touch under 70k in loan debt) would have cost almost double ten years later...sickening.

And I probably would have done it too because how could you not as an 18 year old? You get into your top school choice and you have no comprehension of how much money you will owe. In your head, you figure it will be paid off pretty quick because you'll be earning huge money right out of an elite college...but reality is far different. 

I was also fortunate that I chose a field heavy in math and science. I can't imagine if it were some arts degree...I'd still be paying off my loan debt if it were. Now imagine some millennial who spent twice that...around 150k....and got a degree in fashion design or art history. 

The kids now coming out of high school can't "get away" with making a financial mistake in college like earlier generations were able to get away with it. The obscenely bloated price of a degree now attaches to their ass like an anchor once they are out. 

I'm not sure when it became a requirement to not only go to college but a 4 year prestigious school regardless of major. Or people going into those majors really think they're going to find lucrative jobs so its worth it. Like if you have no idea go to community college for a few semesters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Infested said:

I saved $1,500 and spent it on a used taxi...with the taxi color and striping still on it.   I was embarrassed, but I had a motherfucking car!!

This is awesome. Did you get people trying to hail you down? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fbomb said:

I'm not sure when it became a requirement to not only go to college but a 4 year prestigious school regardless of major. Or people going into those majors really think they're going to find lucrative jobs so its worth it. Like if you have no idea go to community college for a few semesters

I dunno but i remember the skilled trades sort of being stigmatized when I was younger. Like it was "you want to make sure you don't have to unclog toilets or repair drywall when you're older, so get into college!!!"

 They only recently seem to be making a comeback. Ironically many of those who went into the trades make more money with zero debt than those who got history degrees at expensive colleges.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno but i remember the skilled trades sort of being stigmatized when I was younger. Like it was "you want to make sure you don't have to unclog toilets or repair drywall when you're older, so get into college!!!"

 They only recently seem to be making a comeback. Ironically many of those who went into the trades make more money with zero debt than those who got history degrees at expensive colleges.  

Yeah I mean when I was in HS we had a separate votech school but for the 'smart' kids it was assumed you would go to college

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The lack of financial education has really reared its ugly head on the millennial generation. Generations just before them kind of got away with it because college wasn't as expensive. My Cornell excursion from 1999-2003 (I left there with a touch under 70k in loan debt) would have cost almost double ten years later...sickening.

And I probably would have done it too because how could you not as an 18 year old? You get into your top school choice and you have no comprehension of how much money you will owe. In your head, you figure it will be paid off pretty quick because you'll be earning huge money right out of an elite college...but reality is far different. 

I was also fortunate that I chose a field heavy in math and science. I can't imagine if it were some arts degree...I'd still be paying off my loan debt if it were. Now imagine some millennial who spent twice that...around 150k....and got a degree in fashion design or art history. 

The kids now coming out of high school can't "get away" with making a financial mistake in college like earlier generations were able to get away with it. The obscenely bloated price of a degree now attaches to their ass like an anchor once they are out. 

Our high school cut out economics and personal finance in 2003 to save money.  The logic was that parents should teach their kids how to manage money and balance a check book, all the while forgetting that it just reinforces bad cycles of money management in families where the parents never received basic financial education. But hey, all millenials suck. ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bender Rodriguez said:

Our high school cut out economics and personal finance in 2003 to save money.  The logic was that parents should teach their kids how to manage money and balance a check book, all the while forgetting that it just reinforces bad cycles of money management in families where the parents never received basic financial education. But hey, all millenials suck. ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

I have to admit, I usually have you in the back of my head when this topic comes up. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

I have to admit, I usually have you in the back of my head when this topic comes up. LOL

I'm glad to be the shining model of having a life stuck in first gear as you put it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

Yeah so many Millennials with school debt and no degree. What a waste. These kids were lied to by parents and teachers who said getting a degree is the best choice for everyone.

Getting a city job or going to trade school is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colleges are completely complicit in this finance-wrecking life choice too. When you get student loans they don't warn you about the payments later on...at least not seriously.

Colleges are also more than happy to keep increasing the price of admission by more then triple inflation. As long as they don't have any skin in the game on student loans, they are just as happy as a greedy corporation to feast on relatively poorer individuals to line their pockets...they'll virtue signal about inequality after they have cashed the loan checks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

This is awesome. Did you get people trying to hail you down? 

 

Well the light was removed and the actually lettering was gone, but it was obvious that it used to be a cab. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
Just now, Infested said:

I saved up $500 so I can buy a stereo with two big ass speakers from fucking Radio Shack.   Teenage Randy was stupid.  

Young Randy on his way to school in his pre-taxi days.

medium800.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.