Welcome to American Politics

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MakeUSAProgressiveAgain

The New Economy and Markets Thread 2016

18,023 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just now, Warren 2020! said:

Man, I feel it in my bones. Massive inflation is on the horizon.

It will devastating once its out of control.

I am not even sure how to prepare for it. Any ideas besides metals and crypto?

ORH told me to get out of cryptocurrency when I was holding BTC and it hit 11,000... so...

Edited by Yoda

Just now, Yoda said:

ORH told me to get out of cryptocurrency when I was holding BTC and it hit 11,000... so...

It's a safe haven flight until it isn't. Did you forget how quickly it tanked to 3k?

You don't want to be in extremely volitile assets if you are trying to hedge against a catastrophe or big inflation. 

There's a lot of black swans with crypto (hacking, government restrictions, fraud, etc). Plus, it's not physical...even in principle. So I wouldn't touch it. To me, it's a speculative play and I don't view speculative plays as good conservative hedges. Hopefully you make out ok on the swings, but there were people in here buying at 14k and then again when it dropped to 10k on the way down to 3. You may make a killing on it...it could spike to 30k-40k if every Chinese investor flees from a crumbling economy...or it could go to 1k when the commies in China ban it outright. 

1 person likes this

House sweeps the day. 

1 person likes this

Just now, Rent Free said:

House sweeps the day. 

En fugo

I read that Buybacks represent 90% of the new money going into equities over the last 5 years

Just now, Warren 2020! said:

I read that Buybacks represent 90% of the new money going into equities over the last 5 years

Sounds about right. Even more so in the last couple of years since the business tax cut. Plus all those activist investors who only care about boosting their stock price, not about the long term health or well being of the company.

Just now, wannabe hippie said:

I am not on a marketplace plan.

the aca rules also inform employer plans.

Let’s go Dow o/u +42. Be long or be wrong. 

2 people like this

Just now, Rent Free said:

Let’s go Dow o/u +42. Be long or be wrong. 

Over!

1 person likes this

wTF happened today to send the markets plummeting?

Rumors of no trade agreement likely at G20 and Powell talking all hawkish like.

1 person likes this

wTF happened today to send the markets plummeting?

Doesn’t matter. House sweeps the day again. 

1 person likes this

BTC continues to go up

2 people like this

Loving my ETH.  I’m holding at an average of 150.  Current price is 330 ish.  Going to cash out about a third and hold the rest.  Hedging my bets against a hefty drop in price.  Could be wrong but feel a big dip is incoming to crypto. 

I didn't expect BTC to be this high and with momentum until about a year from now with the next halving.  Could have some legs with fomo kicking in and not a ton of supply.  I'm holding until 35k/BTC so I'm not too excited yet.

BTC made it close to 13K earlier... up over 1K today alone

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Default over.

Let’s go Dow O/U +82. China trade headlines is more powerful than bad Econ data

2 people like this

Didn't get my bet in on time. Default under in play today.

1 person likes this

BTC and ETH shooting the moon right now.  Up 12-15% last 24 hours 

2 people like this

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/east-coast-braces-for-tighter-gas-supplies-with-key-refinery-set-to-close-permanently-2019-06-26?mod=mw_theo_homepage

The biggest and oldest refinery on the U.S. East Coast plans to shut down permanently following an explosion and fire late last week, likely leading to tighter supplies of gasoline in the region and a potential spike in prices at the pump.

Philadelphia Energy Solutions intends to close its South Philadelphia refinery within the next month, the city’s Mayor Jim Kenney said Wednesday, according to news reports. That followed a report of the planned closure from Reuters late Tuesday.

The Philadelphia Energy Solutions spokeswoman was unavailable for comment Wednesday morning.

With 335,000 barrels per day of crude oil processing capacity, “the Philadelphia refinery is a major supplier of gasoline and diesel into U.S. east coast markets, yielding approximately 125,000 b/d of gasoline and 110,000 b/d of diesel,” said Marc Amons, senior research analyst at Wood Mackenzie, in a comment emailed to the media.