Welcome to American Politics

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MakeUSAProgressiveAgain

The New Economy and Markets Thread 2016

18,025 posts in this topic

So, to continue the discussion from the other thread:

*Oil has lost all gains since OPEC's agreement to discuss an agreement on an output freeze / cut back in September.

*No one has let to give a convincing reason why the TPP is good for American citizenns

So apparently, with Trump winning the election, U.S. Steel's stock suddenly jumped 30%.xD

They must be really bullish on those manufacturing coming back and a huge infrastructure plan coming down the pipeline.

And of course, Oil has begun surging again based only on more rumors of rumors of rumors of an OPEC deal. Up $2-$3 since yesterday, lol.

1 hour ago, No snow for you said:

I'm here to restore balance to the board. 

Glad to see you made it over here.

2 minutes ago, Member Berries said:

I mean...is this really surprising? OPEC is losing power at a fairly rapid rate the past few years and nobody wants to cut production on an already reduced market share. 

When things start unraveling in a cartel, no shock that they ramp up the internal squabbling. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean...is this really surprising? OPEC is losing power at a fairly rapid rate the past few years and nobody wants to cut production on an already reduced market share. 

When things start unraveling in a cartel, no shock that they ramp up the internal squabbling. 

I'm just on pins and needle with anticipation for the bottom to fall out with Oil between now and February.

Edited by Member Berries

Oil still surging today, along with the dollar.  How long will the Euro be around?  Might be about time to short that pig.

Philly Fed came in at 7.6 vs 9.7 expected. 

CPI came in Hot at .4%. 

Housing starts blew through expectations at 1.323k vs 1.156k expected. 

And jobless claims are the lowest in a LONG time at 235k. 

Speaking with employers they are not firing people unless they do something really wrong bc it is just hard to find someone to replace them. 

Mexico raised rates by .50% to 5.25%. 

Currencies are still going nuts with the Yen @ 110 and the Peso still getting destroyed. 

US rates are starting to get concerning to me. The 10 year hopefully will not break 2.38. 

Another day, another rise in the 10 year's rates. 2.35% now. 

Yen fast approaching 110 and the Euro is being taken to the woodshed with a 1.05 handle now. Vacations to Europe are looking cheaper and cheaper. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/18/news/economy/obamacare-entrepreneurs-trump/index.html

Donald Trump may cast Obamacare as a job killer. But some entrepreneurs say they couldn't have started their businesses without it.

Obamacare has freed them from depending on employers for health insurance. Instead, they told CNNMoney they can pursue their own American Dreams and work for themselves while getting coverage through the exchanges.

The President-elect's promise to repeal Obamacare next year has left these small business owners fearful that they will have to dismantle everything they've worked for and return to the corporate sector just to remain insured.

The Obama administration is also playing up Obamacare's role in entrepreneurship as it seeks to promote the health reform law's importance to Americans.

"We're hearing from consumers who value the protections that [the Affordable Care Act] brings, but also about the economic freedom that the coverage has given them," said Andy Slavitt, acting administrator at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees Obamacare.

2 hours ago, No snow for you said:

Another day, another rise in the 10 year's rates. 2.35% now. 

Yen fast approaching 110 and the Euro is being taken to the woodshed with a 1.05 handle now. Vacations to Europe are looking cheaper and cheaper. 

I have my eye on Cancun, Mexico for vacation. 

And Oil suddenly jumped over 2% at its open only because of Putin's jawboning, lol.

Edited by Member Berries

LOL at oil. I hope those countries are making a fortune manipulating the market bc when the market finally figures out they got nothing, it will be a hard day for them. 

As for the equity market, be long or be wrong again. Dow O/U +61

33 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

LOL at oil. I hope those countries are making a fortune manipulating the market bc when the market finally figures out they got nothing, it will be a hard day for them. 

As for the equity market, be long or be wrong again. Dow O/U +61

Under!

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Under!

Going against the Trump rally I see. Good luck with that. 

46 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

Going against the Trump rally I see. Good luck with that. 

Well, we can't go up every day.  After this week we will probably have to suspend play until January.  I am going to be off work the rest of the year, so we will weight this week rather heavily, in terms of it's impact on who wins the year.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Well, we can't go up every day.  After this week we will probably have to suspend play until January.  I am going to be off work the rest of the year, so we will weight this week rather heavily, in terms of it's impact on who wins the year.

You are taking a month off? what do you think you are, a hedge fund? 

2 hours ago, No snow for you said:

You are taking a month off? what do you think you are, a hedge fund? 

I am liquidating vacation days. :)